Ode To Abu

Friday 12 April 2013

K for Kanakambaram


This blog post is part of the A to Z Challenge. This challenge involves writing a blog post on any topic/theme in the order of the alphabets from A-Z. The blog posts have to be written each day through the entire month of April, excluding Sundays. 

My chosen theme is the city of Chennai - sights, sounds, tastes, its happenings, events, and my memories and experiences connected with this place.


This vibrantly hued flower is one of South India's pride and joys. Have seen them in red and the most common, orange coloured varieties. I believe there is a yellow and pink coloured one as well.
These flowers used to be the quintessential hair accessory for South Indian women. Until a couple of decades ago, most Tamilian women sported long braids and wore flowers like Kanakambaram or Mallipoo (Jasmine) in their hair; sometimes a combo of both. These glorious orange bursts were more popular than the fragrant Jasmine, probably due to their striking colour.
Nowadays, most Tamilian girls have very short hairdos, making it impossible to wear flowers in their hair. Moreover, it is not the in thing to do so, as long hair and flowers have a traditional appeal. Saris (traditional Indian costume) and flowers are mostly confined to special occasions such as weddings or festivals.

These flowers are a common sight in the early morning at traditional roadside flower markets. They are sold in bulk and loose and can be strung into garlands for the purpose of pooja (worship) offerings at temples and during festivals. They have strong white stalks that are useful when tying them together in a long garland. These are then sold by length known as 'molam', which is measured by the length of an arm.
I have many childhood memories associated with these flowers since the Kanakambaram shrubs were a common sight in most gardens. Then again, there are very few trees and gardens either these days. These flowers are also used in floral decorations.
Haven't seen these flowers in a long time and kinda miss them. Also like the sound of the name, Kanakambaram - especially the way the word rolls off the tongue.


Its English name is Firefracker flower and the latin name is Crossandra infundibuliformis.



19 comments:

  1. Beautiful flowers. Love your pictures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paula, wish they were mine...got them off the net :)

      Delete
  2. Aww you made me walk down the memory lane, reminding my days at Chennai, Thanjavur and Trichy. Kanakambaram is my most favourite flower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have such wonderful pictures with your posts. I'm really enjoying reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, thank you so much Lillian! Pls do keep coming back :D

      Delete
  4. Yes, I have seen these flowers adorning the haristyle of many Tamilians ladies, even now. In my morning journey to office I find them during my walk, in the auto, bus and finally office [the count is less here though. Looks beautiful. Will try it on someday. :)

    POETICbug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Salvwi, I'm enjoying your poetry. That is so nice to know you still spot women wearing these flowers these days...I'm so relieved...thought they were becoming extinct!

      Delete
  5. I love your flavor of India--thank you so much! I am of the Native American "Indian" descent! lol My boss, and a few of my good friends have ties to India and I have always loved the beauty of your culture, language, dance, etc. I am so glad you happened upon my blog & I hope to share some haiku with you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheri :) Teach me Haiku and send me a postcard please! Thank you for coming by, great to hear you have India connections :) Hope you get to visit this beautiful country and Chennai sometime soon.

      Delete
  6. Wow! I absolutely love the aroma of these flowers.. nicely written post

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such bright colours. Unfortunately these flowers wouldn't survive our winters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like these flowers but never liked to wear it on my hair! Jasmine was always my fav. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such beautiful flowers! And your memories of them are wonderful to read. Thank you for sharing! Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ms Romantic :) Thanks for coming by. Good luck to you too!

      Delete
  10. Jasmine is my mst fav flower with or with out kanakambaram but the orange makes it look pretty
    In summer i always used to hav gajra. Now lsot touch with them

    ReplyDelete